If you guessed unicorn’s don’t exist, well that’s true, but..
Unicorn employees DO exist, and here’s (IMHO) who they are:
0. Attitude – This is a given (hence point 0)
– If this is not understood already, then we have a big problem
1. Technical skills – Skills that will do today’s job.
– They know (or potential to learn) the tool, language, platform you want them to work on.
– Have demonstrated competence in similar areas.
2. The Architect mindset – They don’t think about JUST the current problem
– When developing solutions they solve problem they foresee in coming years.
These two skills are hard to find, now let’s move on..
3. Communication – They talk like a marketing / sales pro
– Can communicate their point of view effectively and are good listeners
– They are social and pros at building relationships
A good software engineer who communicates well is like a singing tree, you don’t see them very often..
4. Leadership – Not a manager, a leader
– Can inspire, instill purpose and drive in their team
– Develop ‘psychological safety’
Now THAT is a unicorn!