How to manage your code for different UI?
Our automation is reaching yet another level of complexity hence the question..
Elaborating the question:
If we have an application with different versions we support
And there are UI differences across versions (off course), which means different automation code needed,
How to structure your automation code base?
Now off course it would depend on the kind of changes we are seeing.
Here are a few strategies I’ve used / seen / read aboout:
1. Automation code residing alongside production code, in the same repo (@Angie Jones).
– Sounds awesome, never used it. But Angie says it works so I will surely take her word for it!
2. Separate code branches for different versions.
– E.g. for product version 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0, automation code base with a trunk and branches: 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0
– I’ve seen this for prod code, it can get messy, but works
3. Conditions / variables within same branch
– Have conditions within the framework, data selection and POM classes to run based on app version
– I don’t like this. should work in few cases. But things can get out of control fairly quickly and become WAY complex.
Any other ideas you might have?
#QsDaily #automation #branching